Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Drawing a blank here

Guess what I got in the mail the other day??? Yup, my Pearl Jam tickets. Rebecca had a little bit of a shock at the price, I never did openly tell her... They were about $97 each + postage, so a grand total of $207 to see Eddie Vedder and the gang sing me a few songs. Bec told Amanda that we were going, so, she asked us to get her some tickets as well. So, because I am such a great guy and all, I did. So we are all going to see PJ on the same night about 3 sections apart because I couldn't exchange my seats. I'll bring a camera for this one to post...

The soccer. I know that I said that I couldn't be bothered to stay up until 1am Monday night to watch a bloody soccer game, which would end at 3am, and then get up for work at the latest by 7am. But, my meeting didn't finish until around 12-12:15 that night, so I watched it.

Now soccer is a 90 minute game. And I rooted for Australia, "cleverly" named the Socceroos, and a team which barely made to the World Cup. We were against Italy, who are apparently good at this game, having won this tournament a few times. You wouldn't have guessed it though, Australia dictated play for most of the game. And by the 90th minute, the score was nil all. But I learned that you get a couple of minutes extra time for injury time lost or something, so the game would go for another 3 minutes. During these final 3 minutes, while we were in Italy's goal area, there was a hand-ball by an Italian player which went uncalled. Then in the 92nd minute, the ball was in our goal area, where it is universally acknowledged (even by Italians!!!), that the ref made a mistake. He called a penalty against us for tripping.

Italy began celebrating before the ensueing penalty kick was made. There was no way a goalie could block the shot from that close to the net. So we lost 1-0 to some Italians, because the ref made a BAD call. Personally, I think alot of money changed hands over that game. Australia was punching above her weight to have made it into the Group of 16 (2nd round), and was playing very well. But Italy is the home of the mafia. I won't say more, but I'll let you guess the rest...

I tell ya, if I didn't want to go see Venice, Rome, or even the Vatican later in life, I would ban Italy. Yup, heap them on the pile right next to Indonesia. But I can't because I want to got there eventually.

Other matters, I'm trialing a beta version of the soon to be released Microsoft Office 2007, and I have to say that I really like it. I think that they have laid everything out much better than in previous versions (the only really good one being Office 2000), once you get used to the new structure of the "toolbars" and stuff. very nice though. I think I will likely buy it when it is released. Excel is improved a bit with bigger spreadsheets being now possible (because the 60 something thousand rows is just too small, and now it goes to 1048576 rows!!!). Anyway though, I don't feel like writing too much about it because I only started using it yesterday... But it's promising!!!

Gotta run to the lab...

5 comments:

NanNan said...

You mean Amanda is back? What's going on with them? And here I thought you got a good deal on tickets!!! Don't know too much about soccer, but you're sounding way too Australian--- with all that "we" talk- sob,sob, love you

Mike said...

No, Amanda and them are not back, but the concert is in November. And they will be back a few days before the concert. ABout the me being Aussie, well I do almost have dual citizenship, but I will always consider Canada (Yarmouth) my home.

Anonymous said...

Mike this is the first time I have ever tried following the WC(world Cup) I thought that you and Ross might be following it. I was hoping to see the final between Brazil and Australia but the time dosn't seem right this year. Maybe in four years time you and I could watch that Game togeather!Or maybe Canada and Australia by then. It's really something what countries ended up competing.Togo? Whats up with that and no Canada?
I'm going to have to condition myself to it though, 90+ min. games and such crasy hours.
It would be nice though to be able to watch it with you. Just a thought. love
PaPa

Tuffysmom said...

Michael..don't tell me you are into conspiracy theories???? hehehehe.
Everytime Jim's Hockey team gets a penalty..it's a conspiracy!!!! P.S. I'm only going to tell you this secret, because he doesn't want Fireguy to know...Jim is a diehard Montreal fan!!!! Don't tell my brother!

NanNan said...

It's Canada Day Mike--- are you celebrating your heritage?? Nah, neither am I --just celebrating retirement and the sun- love you