Tuesday, June 20, 2006

A thousand words or more

Well, I stumbled upon this pic the other day and it fit. Take it as a state of mind.

Besides the thesis and all its' woes etc, the Oilers losing, and the list grows, so comes the problem of what to do next.

I will finish my PhD, but then where do I work. Everyone knows that I am looking in Canada, more recently I have begun to entertain the idea of working in the States (Boston particularly). Some of the groups there are doing fascinating stuff and doing it beautifully... Look up Wucherpfenig if you want some reading that will likely not interest you in the least.

My current supervisor(s) really want me to stay... But here is the biggest dilema. I love working with them, I get heaps of freedom to do as I wish, would be running my own lab, with my own students (ie workforce) to move my ideas through the pipeline faster. I would be able to get them to do the routine work leaving me to be able to develop systems and design experiments and stuff like that. I have come up with a really good project to look at something genuinely new, and I would be able to carry it out here.

But neither me nor Bec like here, but that sometimes depends on the day.

So if I ended up staying, I have a really good job with heaps of freedom and I could further things significantly, but I'd be here in Sydney (nice place to visit, but too many people, too rushed lifestyle). But, if I went elsewhere, I would end up working on someone else's project, hopefully related to what I am doing, but I would be making a compromise in favour of lifestyle. But I guess that's kind of what it's about isn't it. But if I stayed, I would be able to become an expert in this field pretty quick (especially if my suspicion is correct, I would tell you all, but then I would have to kill you, and I do like you guys, so I'm bound to silence).

Ah well, these are the trials and tribulations of one who is a bit frustrated by alot of things at the moment... Like what makes one great? Where should I be going? Why can't I do more? Why does sleep always seem to win in the end?

Why am I blabbering?
Enough. Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Tuffysmom said...

I didn't know you were looking for work in Canada..That would be so great! But, as you know, you have to do what is in your heart..and you will know what that is when the time comes. Big decision...but remember...no 'bad' decision. Love you
Aunt Marsha

NanNan said...

So, my child, you've come to a fork in the road/ Don't you wish you had a fast forward button?I think in the long run, it doesn't matter so much where you love, but how you live-- so make sure that your decision is made with both your family life and professional life in mind- one without the other will lead to certain disaster. As much as I want you closer, more than that, I want you to feel fulfilled and happy- so wherever you end up, I love you---and will always love you, no matter where you live----

NanNan said...

I meant to say, it doesn't matter so much where you live, not love, but maybe that was a Freudian slip and not just a careless typo--love you

NanNan said...

Just another thought, I loved Parametta, within walking distance of Westmead Hospital, what about moving closer to your work so the pace wouldn't be so hectic, or are the prices of housing too high?? Just a thought-still love you-

Mike said...

Paramatta, a good idea, but the problem is that we would like out of Sydney. Too many people, too busy even if I was in walking distance to work...

Fireguy said...

All the best Mike, wherever you end up. Thinking of you -
Uncle Jim