Monday, June 12, 2006

Spontaneous Human Combustion!?!?!?

First of all, how did this topic come up!!!??? A few interesting links on the subject though:http://science.howstuffworks.com/shc1.htm, and also from one of Australia's leading scientific radio and tv scientists, Dr. Karl: http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/gmis9847.htm.

My view, ummm, why not?

From memory, we are warm blooded because we have mitochondria (energy producers) within our cells which create energy and a bit of heat. And we have a bunch of them in each cell, particularly the heart, which is just one big muscle. And these little buggers create enough energy to allow us to walk, run, do whatever and live... (the top section of this picture is a mitochondria just to add credibility to this post)

As a side note, cyanide kills you because it wrecks the mitochondria's ability to produce energy, so they're pretty important. Anyways, if, by some highly unlikley, crappy for you, "thing" happens and you create heat instead of energy, why wouldn't you be able to fry up like a log in fireplace on a cold winter's eve? I mean you would have millions (maybe more?) of these little potential furnaces inside you, and what if they don't like you very much? I think spontaneous human combustion is simply mitochondrial vengeance. You didn't tell them you loved them enough when they were younger ... They wanted to watch the game last night and you wanted sleep... Or they wanted that last piece of cake, and you thought that would be wrecking your diet... Who's laughing now buddy, who's laughing now....

I guess that my take home message is. ....

Ummmmm....

Spontaneous human combustion must exist because Dickens wrote it into one of his books. To prevent it though, you have to keep your mitochondria happy, but since each person's mitochondria might like something different, you better just hope they like you.


PS. Tiling was hell. Will post later. but Hell is appropriate. Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Tuffysmom said...

Wow, I'm starting to believe. This was always a big argument between mikki and me..she for me against. Now, since I have almost no energy, and a lot of hot flashes, do you think my mitochondrias are getting ready to pounce. I always give them enough chocolate, and I always watch the Stanley Cup hockey games. I do fall asleep through Law and Order though...and Oh My...what if they don't like Coronation Street!!! I bet that's it! Yikes.
Love, Auntie Marsha

NanNan said...

Now I understand why I'm cold blooded and no energy- I'm lacking mitochondrial cells- and I never had hot flashes--- it's all so clear to me--and I don't have to worry about SHC--but what about spontaneous freezing?

mikki said...

Hah! See, Mom! Now you know that my opinion is always right, and yours is always just an opinion :o) Thanks, Mike, for the scientific perspective - interesting reading with my morning coffee. On a side note, I have my share of body fat... hope none of it is the brown kind!

Tuffysmom said...

I fear a conspiracy here. Michael and Michelle seem to be in sync. I still do not believe in it..so don't say 'SEE MOM!' Like you know everything. Hey, this is a good place to argue..on Mike's site...Cool!!!! Sorry Mike.

Tuffysmom said...

Yes Nannan..your hands are always cold and mine are always warm! Mom didn't want to hold my hand, it was too warm for her! But she always knew which one of us was holding her hand.
Cold hands, warm heart...warm hands, cold heart...sob sob sob.