Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Ya well..

To all my adoring fans, I apologize.

I have nothing to say, either to bore or to bother you with. Pretty bloody tired right now though. But that's what staying up till 2:30ish in the morning and then having to go to work the next day will do to you. Almost a Doctor my a$$!!! A 4 year old would know better!!! Or at least would have the self-respect to crash on his own instead of force himself to stare blankly into a computer screen hoping that by staying up this late success in all things will be found!!

Why though.. I am training a medical registrar on laboratory work and I must say that he is probably the best "student" I have ever had. He listened to what I told him, regardless of his $90K+ a year salary (due to heaps of overtime, but still!!) compared to my crap scholarship income, and he produced good results from his first experiment. But in training him, I have to write everything out in detail for him, which I don't mind doing because he is a nice guy and it'll save me from having to watch over his shoulder all day. But writing out the method means I had to learn the method firstly, and then scrutinize each step so that it was written clear and unambiguous, small problem solving in the methods. That takes time my friends, and I told my boss last week that I would have something for him tomorrow (Friday)...

Not going to happen dear.

Because I was up until 2:30am last night, I will be able to do a lot of it by Friday, but not to the level where I want to give my supervisor anything. But by Monday or Tuesday....

On a good (better) note, I think that I am out of the lab (besides training people) though. Yup, my trials and tribulations of May have (hopefully) ended. I am expecting to have a few very minor experiments to do, but I know a guy who is very good at this routine test, and he knows and is expecting me to come to him for help... So happy day for me.... Just a tired happy day..

Oh, my father-in-law (Ross) came up the other day, (2 days as it turned out). He brought with him something of beauty, besides the cake/square things his wife (Deanne) made, but a CD called "She Will Have Her Way - The Songs of Neil & Tim Finn". These are the guys behind Split Endz and Crowded House. The CD is a compilation of several songs written by these 2 gifts from God sung by different Australian ladies. Beautiful stuff on this. THe song "Four Seasons in One Day" sung by New Buffalo is haunting, and I love Don't Dream It's Over sung by Sarah Blasko. It's kind of empty sounding, bass and a few little things thrown in, but I find it very....um it's a work of art. And because any situation in life can be summed up by a Simpson's line, there's an old episode where Lisa Simpson is worried that she'll end up with all the intellectual prowess of her father Homer and brother Bart when she hits a certain age, she decides to take advantage of what little time she has and do "smart" things, or something to that effect. She ends up in this jazz bar where the musician is playing same seeminly crap music that the audience of 2-3 aren't liking, but Lisa is loving it, protesting that it's not what they're playing, but what they're not playing, you know meaning that she's so bright she can recognize that the musician is playing a beautiful piece of music based around the notes she's NOT playing...

Anyway though, if you have to explain a joke, it's a crap joke.

But I find the Sarah Blasko song like that, but it sounds good. There's an emptiness in it that you want to fill with something, like guitar, or anything. But the emptiness created by the void of instruments, enhances the voice and lyrics. In my opinion, it's one of the best covers I have ever heard. Nothing short of genius; to come up with that rendition is inspired. It's easy to take a song, strip it down and play acoustically. But to sing it well, that's another level of ... goodness (tired and I can't think of good adjectives) but then to take everything away, add an odd bass line, a few other bits here and there, magic. Personally, I kind of think that they may have recorded more parts for the song, and then removed them in the final mix. Prince did that in one of his older songs, maybe 1999 but not sure. He had a lead vocal part and several background harmonies, but in the final mix, he ended up leaving only one vocal track (no background harmonies) but that one vocal track was a mix of the original lead vocal for one line, and then the next line would have been from one of the background harmonies... Clever stuff. It created a bit of an erratic vocal section, but for that song, it worked, and worked well.

So, I think Ms Blasko may have done a similar thing.

To round this post up, I told you I had nothing of value to say at the outset, so I won't apologize if you are not reading this wishing for your time back.

I'll write better later, cause I gotta go,

Bones to pick and rumours to feed!

5 comments:

kicking-and-singing said...

Don't know what you are talking about Mike, I enjoyed your post, but then again I'm a music freak. Talk to you soon, love ya.
Tam

NanNan said...

Get some sleep son, you're sounding mighty tired-- but I am intrigued by that CD- is it something he put together, or is it purchaseable--- I'd like to hear that Sarah Blasko song-- love you

Mike said...

Oh it's purrchasable. I heard it awhile ago when I was browsing a cd shop and Kasey Chambers was singing Better Be Home Soon, and she does covers sooo well, but I forgot about the cd because I haven't been able to buy a cd in a while, but I did buy the Sarah Blasko cd just now... When I listen to it, I'll blog it...

Tuffysmom said...

Hi Mike, I've been in Nfld visiting Mikki for the past two weeks, and have spent almost the whole day trying to catch up on the blogs. I'd like to hear that CD too. Get some rest and take care...love Auntie Marsha

Tuffysmom said...

Mike..we need you..you Mom has gone away..and we need your humour and your wisdom! Help us..give us something to talk about....
Love you....Auntie Marsha