Monday, September 04, 2006

"He died doing what he loved best."


Honestly, I have several things I would like to say that's been going on in my life, but they are petty. And genuine tragedy has occured today, not just for Australia, but for people, as well as animals across this great planet. You all know, so I won't be giving details, read one of many articles if you haven't watched it on tv yet.

He was a champion for all animals, big, small, pretty, ugly, friendly, and unfriendly. I remember the first time I saw his show "Crocodile Hunter." It was super late at night when I was in my first year of University at Carlton (In Ottawa Canada) and me and Emily were watching tv, and this came on and she was like "You HAVE to watch this guy, he cracks me up. He's crazy!" So we did, and ya, she was right. But he was soo captivating, and energetic. I think what drew people to him was his devotion to his cause. Everything he did had a single minded focus, protect wildlife, of any form. And he would use whatever media he could to further it. Not himself, but the cause he stood for.

A sad day indeed.

And by a ray, a bloody big ray, but a ray.... Such a passive creature to be responsible for such global sorrow.

When I heard, I was on my way to my citizenship ceremony and I thought that I would look at the news on my cell phone, and there it said, "Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin dies." Then both me and my phone froze. Me out of shock and saddness.... Stopped mid-stride as I tried to grasp this.... I don't know what to call it.... this moment in time. my phone felt it too because it stopped working as well, I couldn't get it to open the actual story for about 10 minutes... So I was wondering what happened, hoping it wasn't a crocodile that caused his untimely end. But, he died doing what he loved best.

My heart, hopes, and prayers go to his family (wife Terry and 2 children, "Bob" and Bindi). And may the legacy of the legend that is Steve Irwin live on until the term "endangered species" has itself been wiped out.

I became an official Australian citizen tonight.

Of this, I am proud. If for no other reason than that I can consider myself a fellow country-man of the late Steve Irwin.

Steve, you will never be forgotten, nor your message lost.

Steve Irwin
1962-2006

10 comments:

NanNan said...

It's all over the news here now-- yes, it is sad, he was passionate about conservation of animals!!! A loss to his family and world-- nice post, written like a true Aussie--- much love==

NanNan said...

"I became an official Australian citizen tonight." congratulations, did you celebrate?? so now do you need a new passport? I'm trying to be happy about this, still trying!! love you

Mike said...

Yes, I need a second passport...But the important thing to remember here is that I have dual citizenship so I CAN LEAVE Australia without having to re-apply for another VISA to re-enter at a later date. It means I can come and go from Australia as I wish. Before tonight, if I left the country say next year, I would not be allowed to come back without applying for a new VISA. I no longer have this problem. It's only good. Now I am an official citizen of two of the best countries on Earth.

NanNan said...

I just downloaded Don't Dream it's over by Sarah Blasko, I love her voice-- and am heading back to limewire.com to download more of her music--- any more tips?

Gillian said...

I am also, just in the "new to limewire" phase! I love it, except that my connection is not as strong as I would like! boo hoo!

Sarah Blasko eh!? I'll have to check her out! Again, if you have any other suggestion let me know too!!

Congrats on the citizenship thing... so was there some sort of language test for Australian vocab??? (LOL!)
G.

Fireguy said...

I feel the same sense of loss and shock over this trajedy, and greatly admired Steve Irwin.
Your blog entry expresses my sentiments exactly.

Tuffysmom said...

I also was shocked when I heard the news. My heart goes out to his family - they were so close. He will be greatly missed.
Congrats on the dual citizenship!
Lots of love, Aunt Marsha

Funnyface said...

This is a wonderful blog.I was so shocked when I heard it on Canada AM.
I was watching the news tonight,and they were showing him with his little girl.
My heart goes out to his family.I can not imagine the pain they are going through.
I want to also congratulate on your citizenship.

Take care of yourself, and your family
Love Aunt Cheryl

NanNan said...

It's not that I mind sharing you with another country, BUT WHEN IS IT GOING TO BE MY TURN??? I think baby Amon #2 should be born in Canada, making it even, you know, one to one---love you

Mike said...

As much as I would like to say that there is a chance, even slight, that #2 will be born in Canada, there is unfortunately no possibility. Bec's too far along and the earlies we would even thing about moving is January, and then it would be me alone first and Bec and the kids shortly after. But raised in Canada... that's may be much more likely....