Thursday, August 03, 2006

A Blisstery Winter's Day Indeed!

Winter in Australia. I know that my Canadian readers etc think that Australian winters are lame... No snow, no cold, surfing all the time etc.. Truth be known though, it gets bloody cold. Just ask Mom, Dad, Philip, or Jennah. When they came down a little while back, I told them to pack warm clothes because it's cold... Did they listen?

No.

Mike's just being a wimp. Then they get here, and I am proven right.

Yet again.
(I know that this seems to be a running theme and all, I'm not egotistic, it just happens that I am right all the time. Alright, I was wrong once, I can't remember it, but I'm saying that because it might have happened sometime)

But the houses here have no insulation, no central heating. Their not built for anything below 10degrees C. So in the morning, when it might have only gotten to 5 degrees or so, your house is freezing!!

So what do you do during the day Mike? You sexy devil you......

Well, 2 weeks ago for example, it was a particularly harsh winter's day, it being July and all (middle of winter my friends, middle of winter, Gillian might appreciate this fact soon). But the sun was out.

So we went to the National Park and got a row-boat for a few hours. Bec's pregnant so we thought we wouldn't stress her out with excess canoeing and a row-boat sounded fun... I know what you're thinking, but it's the middle of winter, what about Alex!?! He's only 3 and a half, you must have bundled him up heaps!!! and ya, we did... Scoll down and you'll see him..

He's got his pants, a shirt (long sleeve no less) and a life jacket.

See, we do care.

But since it was the middle of winter, me and Bec did wear a long sleeve shirt. Wouldn't want to get frost-bite!!!

Alright I'll stop. The mornings ARE cold though, that I'm not fibbing about. But the days can be beautiful. The weather was perfect for boating as there was a little breeze which kept me cool, calm, and collected. And Alex loved it....

You'll notice there's an unflattering picture of me. (A rarity yes I agree) I thought that I would post this just to show that although it is not that representative of what I look like (I'm much better looking), I want to show that you don't have to hate me because I'm beautiful.

See, I can look only ruggedly handsome:

And below there are pictures of Bec and Alex too. No, I'm not standing up in the boat, I'm on land about to push them out to meet their doom in the water infested river of the the National Park.

 Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Gillian said...

Winter? I am still finding it VERY hard to believe it can actually be considered COLD there! I mean exposed skin and all, proves to me that you have just turned aussie on us?!

I guess I am really well suited to the North- plus 5 and we are skidooing around with T-shirts on over the ice pans coming home from camping and seal hunting!

To each his own, I guess.
Enjoy the best season!

Mike said...

Honestly, I miss the winter like you wouldn't believe!! I know that I've acclimatized, but I'll just dress a little warmer... Snow... Beautiful snow...

NanNan said...

Believe me, believe Mike-- it gets &^%%%&%*& cold in them their homes that they don't know how to insulate--- Love all the pictures, going to save them in my fam. album-- keep them coming-- How is Rebecca feeling? love you son

NanNan said...

I keep looking at these pictures--- I could take care of 3 grandkids Mike-- he looks so cute-- yes, sorry son, cuter than you, but just like you-- how is that possible-- miss you guys--