Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Barenaked ....

Ya, I just wanted to get your attention... Just a short (2nd) post for today!! I know, I'm feeling... saucy today...

It's late again (11:30pm) and I'm continuing my love-hate affair with my laptop. I must admit, when others referred to PhD as standing for permanent head damage, I now see where they get that from. It's taking me slightly longer than I hoped to get this chapter done. It's ok though, I've got 2 other ones mostly done, (and published, or almost) so cool for me. But it's a bit hard to write a thesis chapter when you don't really have any solid results. So it's a method development chapter which honestly, will be my legacy to this department. Any biological science person could come in, and as long as they follow my instructions to the letter, they'll get results. I wanted to be the person to get these results, but I think that possibility is fading pretty fast.

On to why I am posting....

I have headphones on, listening to a cd that I have really fallen in love with again. You might be surprised by this, but it's the Barenaked Ladies, Gordon album. THe one with, Hello City (about Halifax NS!!), If I had A Million Dollars, and probably one of my favorite songs, What A Good Boy. Ya I know, but it's one of my favorite songs to play and sing. And then, years after I learned and played it heaps, it actually hit me what the words were about. Gender roles. It's a great song. I remember when Mom and Dad bought the Kenwood, before Nan and Pa moved in and it was set up in the den, I was studying for some exams, and just listening to that album. loved it then, love it now. A timeless piece of beauty. There are some silly songs on it, like "New Kid on the Block" about being a New Kid On The Block (the birth maybe of modern boy bands, at least for my generation).

Anyway, I just wanted to write something not science related (and I couldn't even do that as my second paragraph will attest, imagine poor Rebecca...)

Gotta run to to write, I have an early morning tomorrow. It's my one day in to work and I am expecting to get chastised by my supervisor because a lady in Melbourne hasnt' gotten back to me. The worst thing is, is that if she doesn't tell me what I want to here... I don't really know what to do!!! Cross that bridge later though.

One door at a time.

Gotta go, but if you're a long time reader never commenter, change your ways and let me know your out there!!!

Final thought, don't ask a question for which you cannot handle the worst possible answer. (as an opposing view, God never throes you more than you can handle).

8 comments:

NanNan said...

I just left a comment, but where did it go--- Okay, I won't ask the burning question, if you're ever coming home again, because if God doesn't test us beyond our capacity, he knows I'm saturated----- love you-- this too will pass---

Gillian said...

I totally agree with you about that CD. It was actually the very first CD that I bought with my own money and everytime I go back home to NS I try to find it. I think my bro scoffed it and put in his collection in Ottawa... The songs are just catchy and have pretty funny lyrics that are soo much fun to sing along to... So no you aren't weird, unless I am too??

G.

Anonymous said...

Dad said:
Mike I remember some phone calls over the past fiew years and hearing of some of the chalinges you were faced with( some because of the chalinged person or persons you were counting on for results who wouldn't think of calibrating the dam thing befoure running your stuff)and those damed elusive T-cell results. Sleeplis nights and weekends with your mouse buddies.
As life goes on pesty student loans people who couldn't understand how your driveway takes priority over payments they told you you had paid.
buying a house having littleuns oh ya getting married ( thought I'd throw that in .
Loving musick trying to find time for this of all things .
worrying about the people back home.
Mike somany things for so long I admire you for your intestinal fortitude and I want you to know I think of you and pray for you and yours each and every day.
There is an end it, will come ,then its on to the next
exciting
OK OK I'll leave it there I realy don't want to depress you. Wish you luck keep banging those keys. Every thing will fall into place I am sure. Love to you Alex and Bec
love Dad

Fireguy said...

I'm here - not a constant commentor, but loyal reader.
I like Barenaked Ladies too! Opps!! I meant THE Barenaked Ladies...

Funnyface said...

Hello Mike,
I enjoy reading your blog, even when I don't understand a thing your saying.The thing is, your writting it.And that is all that matters.

Love ya Aunt Cheryl

Tuffysmom said...

Hi Mike...I'm a long time reader and a sometimes commenter. But always, your loving Aunt Marsha! Love ya kid!

kicking-and-singing said...

Hey Mike, I love that CD...
Now why would I ask for your opinion if I didn't want it?*L*
Blarg..anywya..take care of yourself and the family Mike...
Lot sof Love,
Tammie

Anonymous said...

buy ativan ativan withdrawal paranoia - yellow ativan dosage