Thursday, February 08, 2007

ummmm..

I just can't think of a title....

So I know that you are all wondering what I have been doing with my bad self. All right, I'm not really but, how about, my lame self... Not as nice a ring, but probably more true!! Well, I have been riding the trains around Sydney alot. I am now working at two different locations, one at Westmead Hospital where I did my PhD, and the rest of the time at the Garven Institute for Medical Research. The main difference between the two is that the Garven is private, whereas Westmead Hospital is public. Just click on each respective link to see which one looks better!! The Garven is beautiful on the inside, very well maintained, great coffee machines, and a nice feeling to it, whereas Westmead Hospital is a politcal entity unto itself. I should probably watch what I say, so... it is a good place to work as it is really big with a lot of expertise (sp?) but the papers and forms and blah blah blah, but the CEOs etc are here to promote health care, which is a fair call, it being a hospital, but they put alot of undue stress on research where we have to constantly fight for our lab space for fear of it being taken over by general office space...

A sad tale of woe this is... A sad tale indeed....

But the project is pretty good though, and it is probably the only remaining reason why I am still in Australia. I will be testing a new treatment (cure?) for diabetes. Can't go into detail as I don't want any of you buggers to steal the idea and publish it before me, but it the idea makes sense and may just work. At least in preliminary stages which is all I (reasonably) hope to accomplish this year, as I have to get the whole project up and running from scratch. In short, I am learning a lot of new tricks this year to take with me wherever I go next year.


Anyway though, I just thought that I would check in, say hey, and show a pic of where I am working part of the time. Just so you can be envious of me, if I wanted to walk a little way (45 min or so), I can get to the Sydney Opera House... How cool is that! I still think that it is such a beautiful building that pictures do not do justice to.

Well, I should run now.

1 comment:

NanNan said...

Wow, that Garven place looks spectacular--- should be good on your resume or cv or whatever they call it now---- diabetes cure?? Hope it works---- affects a lot of people -- good luck-- love you -mom