Thursday, October 05, 2006

Just a short break

I am taking a luch break right now, so I thought that I would drop a line to my few adoring fans. I gave my supervisors a copy of my literature review, the hardest part of a thesis write-up. It's done though. Well except for a few revisions which are likely to be required.. But the hard part of it is done!! Yay for me. But this has ramifications for you my friends of the Blog. Soon, you will no longer hear me complain about this, and what a relief that will be for you. Now I "just" have to put my results and discussion chapters together, but since they are already published, shouldn't be that tricky.. But still, many late nights to come.

Another topic though (phew you sigh). I saw one of the most beautiful acts by a human being come from probably one of the darkest acts a ... I hesitate to use the word "man" can do. I'm sorry but it regards the horrible, inhuman acts including those planned and those carried out against the Amish girls in the States. While, obviously, my sincerest sorrows and whole-hearted best wishes go to the Amish community as well as their parents, (and also the family of him whom I shall not name). But there was an elder from thier community who said something that floored me. Literally floored me. And gave me a respect I did not previously have for the Amish.

They forgive him.

Despite the acts of depravity planned if not acted out, and the resulting murders, they forgave him within 72 hours. Citing that forgiveness provides a great healing for those affected. Personally, that would be a hard ask. One that I know is right, but I'm just not sure I could do it so soon... So to the Amish community, you have a friend in me. I cannot think of a higher complement I could give them. The ideals they are holding to in this crisis are nothing short of saintly under these circumstances.

So thank you for your clarity in perception in this matter.

Other issues of concern for me at the moment though, besides where shall I work next year? Is that Tool is healining the Big Day Out this year. Regular readers and knowers of me would know that I love Tool. I have all their studio releases and love them. The Big Day Out is a traveling music show which goes around Australia and usually has some pretty kick-ass international bands. A few years ago I think Metallica played, but I don't really like anything they've done since the Black album (what kind of crap was St Anger? I mean really guys, pull your head out, quit fighting music piracy, and write at least one more good song!)... But ya, TOOL is headlining... And since this concert happens sometime January (maybe Feb but I'm hoping not), I guess one of my birthday presents (in ADDITION to my Gibson SG) will be to take my lovely wife to the Big Day Out.

Well, I gotta run now, cheers loyal fans!

3 comments:

NanNan said...

While in college, I wrote a paper on the amish for a sociology course, and have always held them in high regard, living a life according to the gospels of Jesus, such peaceloving and nonthreatening people--- In a way I admire their ability to forgive, but then I wonder if maybe there isn't some kind of emotional disconnect--- my God, it's their daughters----

Tuffysmom said...

Not only did they forgive, but they are treating the wife and children of the villain with great respect, and giving them their sympathy for their lost..i.e. the loss of a father and husband.
To have such faith is beyond my ken. But..I surely respect them for it, because to harbor hatred only brings the soul down.
Love, Aunt Marsh.

Mike said...

I think there's a difference between forgiveness towards the man for committing such crimes, and mourning for the loss of your children. I see them as two distincly separate emotions. I think it is possible to mourn such heavy losses AND forgive the perpetrator... Especially if they TRULY believe that their children are in a much better place. I personally don't see it as emotional disconnect, but more as properly focused emotions. Respecting and wishing the best to a family who has lost a father and husband, forgiving an obviously troubled man, and mouring the loss of their own children. - Mike, not Anonymous!