Friday, May 15, 2009

Remember when...

Just a quick note to draw your attention to something that has been really bothering me infrequently..

I went to McDonald's the other day to pick up some supper because I was running late from work for one reason or another.  I went in, ordered etc as per usual.  Then I watched as they scrambled to get the orders filled.  It wasn't really busy, but I had to wait alot longer than one would expect from a place like McDonalds.  There used to be these ads on TV where it showed how well the front-end of McDs was laid out so that everyone could move fast and get things done.  But now, with some of the stores renovations and lay-out, this is impossible...  All the burgers and fries etc are at one of the far sides of the cash registers so that, while pretty much everyone who goes to McDs orders some kind of burger, all the workers have to crowd around a tiny little area at the far side of the front end and wait to get their customer's order.  The rest of the front end is covered with things that not many people order.  I understand the logic of placement though: since everyone is coming to buy a burger, we don't need to show them the burgers... we want people to come and try our coffee, or our McFlurrys, or our apples, or muffins etc.  

So prime space behind the cash registers is filled with product that only the rare few purchase, and forces the cashiers to congregate at the tiny little area where the burgers etc are delivered from the people heating them up at the back.  It looks terrible to someone coming in when you see a line of people waiting to be served because the cashier has to literally leave the register to actually see if the previous order has been made yet...

Another flow-on from this product is that there ends up being (the other night) 3 different people putting your order in the bag.  Mistakes happen because of this.  It was like watching a highly disorganized group struggle to get you your food because the higher ups appear to be so far removed from the front end work of their company that they have effectively made a place that gets so many complaints from those in line waiting for their food that I now avoid McDs because of the wait and that I have to check to make sure that I get everything that I ordered... 

Burger King on the other hand...  I love them.  Great front-end layout, not more than 2 people fill  your order and they work together, and the wait is short.  I think that McDonalds really should take a page out of their book because they are losing business (at least mine).

I know.  I tackle the big issues eh?

3 comments:

Tuffysmom said...

First..I agree..I like Burger King.
2nd...What the heck are McFlurries?
Love you Michael
Auntie Marsh
P.S.
I'm starting blogging again...
Just in case you're interested.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new position in corporate sales at Burger King-- proud of you son!!

Anonymous said...

PS--it's been so long since I've been "ON" that I couldn't remember my password--but this and the above is your mom,, just in case you didn't recognize my font--