Wednesday, March 28, 2007

My first duty:

Well, as you may or may not know, I am an official Australian citizen. As such, I am required by law to vote in all elections (my state and federal). Or else I get fined. Yay for me. I am actually happy, in a way, about this. I deplore politics as an inherently flawed system, with many flaws found in party politics in particular. This is mainly due to the petty bickering that goes on between parties, and the feeling (and reality) that politicians try to further their own carrier as opposed to genuinely trying to improve the well being of their populace. I know what you may be thinking... If the politicians don't help their areas, then they will be forced out.. But I don't believe that this is actually the reality, or that the reality is significantly more complex...

A politician only really needs to be perceived to be trying to helping his constituents. The system IS party politics; you agree with the party you're in by default. You need money to run for office. Money comes from donations, which, if enough money is "donated" helps to ensure that the group that donated the cash's interested are protected by their preferred member of parliament... Enough about that though.... I am writing for a different reason.

Ya I know, all that crap above for nothing! You'll learn to live with, and ignore it. Trust me. Ask Bec.

Ummm.... Oh ya, the voting ballots. INSANE!!!! I measured one of them, and I am not joking, if you hold one end of it to the floor, the other end will reach my hip bone, and for its width, it goes from my finger tips to my elbow (roughly). How's that for big. And the name of some of the party's that were running, "the Shooter's Party", "The Outdoor Recreation Party" (weren't they some club in University populated by long haired granola eaters?), and a scary one called "Australians Against Immigration". You can guess from their name their standpoint on certain issues, kind of against multiculturalism if you get my drift. I obviously did not vote for them though, as I immigrated to this great country of Australia, so to you "Australians Against Immigration":

I fart in your general direction! Your mother was hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

(if you don't know the source of that quote, click on it and you'll find yourself confronted with something of utmost humor and comedic genius)

Anyway though... I thought I would try to post a picture of the biggest ballot paper (there were two, but the second one was tiny, about the size of a small pamphlet that the Mormons would give you as an introduction thing). But the only picture I could find was one from 1999 (I think), but you get the size issue correctly out of it.

Crazy Australian politics.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog!

Mike said...

You flatter me!!! And I'm happy, or maybe bewildered is a better word to use, that an "anonymous" reader likes my blog!! Thanks anon for your positive feedback, hope to hear from you again!

Anonymous said...

Well..I thought I politics were bad enough, but it looks down right crazy there. That is one HUGE ballot.

All I can gripe about is living in a province that does not believe in forwarding and growing for the future. Typical small minded mentality that is too scared to invest some hard to come by money, so that this province can have a future. And instead of doing it in the public eye, the politicians here do a sleezy deal, and cut the feet out from under the bid committee...Not Right.

Thats just one issue here. The other...Stupidity where a politician towes the party line at the cost of his constituents and home province...I tell you it makes me want to get into Politics....ARGH!!

Hope things are going well otherwise for you. Keep us posted.

Phil C...You Know!

Anonymous said...

In some ways you should be forced to vote even though here it is a privilage. Funny thing is most of the time you don't vote for someone but rather against his opponent as he is the lesser of 2 evils. Our had the bigger smear campaign

Unknown said...

*ROFL* @ I fart in your general direction! Your mother was hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

I just watched that the other day!!!!

So looking at your voting ballots.....how many trees had to suffer?

Brother JAY

NanNan said...

I can't imagine the size of your ballot box????

NanNan said...

We were going to phone and wish you a Happy Easter, but both dad and I have laryngitis and can't talk!!!! We;ll get you next week!!Love mom