Sunday, December 03, 2006

Nintendo Wii


Well, I have been looking at this machine for a little bit now. Due out for release here in Oz on Dec 7th I think.... I have to say that I have not been impressed with any of the recent game systems. All they tend to be are improvements on graphics/resolution and speed. Not so much on games. I still like Asteroids from Atari. Ya, old school!!! What can I say, it's addictive. Simple, turn, shoot the asteroids. Don't get hit by them. But I do like the look of the Nintendo Wii. Intuitive motion sensing. I don't really care about improved graphics, I think that of the Playstation 2 and Xbox were fine. While I am impressed with the great graphics of Xbox 360, the games themselves did nothing for me. But with Wii, they have sooo much of a back catalogue. I used to love playing Zelda. ANd the new one looks pretty cool.

If I had 400 bucks to blow on something, the Wii might be it. Also because I know that Rebecca would probably play it too. She doesnt' really like the multi-button game-pads out now (with the 3 directional joysticks/buttons, 4 other right thumb button, 2 triggers, L1, L2, R1 and R3) they just seem a bit too much to learn when all you want to do is have mindless fun. The Wii is supposed to be (and reviewed to be) very intuitive. So, maybe when they drop to an affordable price, I'll write a review on them!!! But for now, I will marvel from afar!!!

If anyone of my readers gets one, let me know if they match up to the hype though, you might speed my purchase up!!!

1 comment:

Gillian said...

Hey Mike...

I saw this system on the morning news one morning last week. The "Tech Expert" was showing everyone hot electronic toys for Christmas to give parents a hand in deciding what to get their kids. At first it was the name that cracked me up- one of my teaching friends always calls her... hmmm... what can I say, well... you know part of her body a "wee", so I automatically imagined what she would ay if her boyfriend said, "I want a wee"... hahaha...

BUT once they demonstrated some of the games it looked really neat and revolutionary. The tech dude was showing a tennis game and I guess the controls can be used as the racket... You have to swing the whole thing to hit the ball, and there were other games like a sword fighting game where the motion was detected as you used the controller as the sword... It sounds pretty cool... Like you were saying less buttons but more motion controlled for some games...

I am not big on video games, but my favourite is still Pole Position 3 from Atari. It was the first game where I could really beat both of my brothers... and also Pitfall from Atari...

I should get going my dishes are piled to the roof...
G.