Thursday, June 21, 2007

Revenge


Well, I wish that I had something of significance to say, or even something that would interest anyone in the least. But honestly, today just won't be your day. So, in light of this, I will relate a little incident that occured to me the other day....

Well, I went down to do some work with some lovely little white lab rats (Wistars to be exact). Nothing bad though, we just wanted to look at them, teach our new PhD student (Anne) how to do a few things like put them to sleep etc. Nothing fancy.

So Anne puts two lovely and well mannered lady rats into the perspex box where in a few moments they will be sleeping soundly and peacefully. So she goes to close the lid.

The two ladies have decided that they were not tired. I should also mention that these rats are about 8-10 weeks old, and therefor still juveniles. And like a juvenile, when they don't want to do something, they cause a fuss.

Soooo, the two lady rats proceed to simultaneously jump out of their cage just before Anne could close the lid, and run in separate directions. One ran towards Anne on the bench, the other away from me. Anne caught hers with little stress.

I wasn't so lucky.

Not this time my boy...not this time...

I tried to grab my rat's tail, missed as it jumped onto a kind of ledge thingy at the back of the bench where it could have jumped to the floor and been even harder to catch. Since I couldn't get at the tail, I had to go for the body. I grasped (not too hard though) the lady rat around her body and carried her to her cage.

This is where the problem arose.

I felt an interesting sensation on my right pinky finger. Like something gnawing on it. Then it hit me. She's gnawing my pinky finger!!!!! One set of teeth (upper or lower?) chomping down on my finger nail, while the other piercing the arteries in the tip of my pinky finger. I couldn't do much about it so I continued to put her in her cage where she remained for a while.

So I washed the wound which was gushing forth blood at a rate of at least approximately 1 litre per minute (I didn't measure it at the time, obviously, but I am a scientist, so not prone to exageration (just spelling errors), so I think I'm right). Anyway though, I washed the wound, tried to stem the tide of blood now filling the room to flood levels, filled out the incident report form because it was the right thing to do, then called Staff Health here at the hospital.

Remembering that I work at a HOSPITAL!!!! And I had a genuine incident where I was bitten by an animal which did draw blood, and that there was a significant potential for infection (bacterial) as the teeth did go deeper than they should have, I would have thought that STAFF HEALTH could have done something. But nope, they told me to go across the road to a private clinic and get it looked at properly because all STAFF HEALTH! could do was put a band-aid on it.

What a friggen joke! I am staff. At a hospital. Yet STAFF health could do nothing.

Anyway though, short story long, I took care of the wound properly to begin with, so the doctor had a look at the bite marks, the scratches and indentations on my finger nail as well as the 32 mm deep hole in the my pinky finger, and prescribed some antibiotics as preventative.

I'll end this story now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

OH....last messages from Connie!! xoxoxoxoxo

NanNan said...

OMG-----Those teeth!!! horrendous!!T hope the rat didn't have AIDS or any other contagious disease!! Too bad there wasn't a video to capture the event-- would surely have won you ten thousand dollars for America's Funniest Videos!! Love mom

mikki said...

You must have offended the poor little rattie somehow! Usually they are very friendly, even affectionate, creatures. Perhaps you didn't spend enough quality time with her, and she felt the need to show you how upset she was... (I have a "thing" for pet rats - just ask tuffysmom how many I had at one time). Seriously, though, take care of that wound... sounds like it must have been pretty darned painful!

Mike said...

I agree Mikki. These particular rats are very friendly rats. The problem was she didn't want to go in the box, jumped out, and then I had to grab her around her torso after missing her tail at my first attempt. I had a hold of her wrong, she was excited, I was excited, and one thing led to another and I paid the price. The only time in 4 years though is a pretty good record!

Anonymous said...

megan fox naked nude , paris hilton
Hot on the heels of her success in Transformers, Megan Fox is being pursued to star in the new She-Hulk movie. A studio source says this: “She-Hulk comics are popular so it’s only natural that the character makes the transition to the big screen. megan fox naked video
megan fox naked pictures
I don’t know if you’ve heard of the Spike TV Scream Awards. It bills itself as “honoring the best in fantasy, sci-fi, comics, and horror,” but that’s a load of crap because the winners are decided based on internet votes. And everyone knows the internet has great taste. megan fox naked pic
megan fox naked pictures
She’s the rare mix of a rebellious young girl in a very ripe and mature body. She admits that she loves sex so much. She makes your imagination go wild with statements like that. megan fox naked